2012-03-05

La Dolce Vita (1960)




After I watched this movie, I thought shots/scenes/editing, etc to find a specific issue. Honestly I couldn’t find impact materials on this movie, one of a masterpiece. This movie has a quite long running time gave me an message what human being wants to get, what human being can’t fulfill. 
Honestly I didn’t get a main character, even if it was clear that Marcello is leading character. I wanted to find a “REAL” leading character, a story teller, a character who shows his deep inner side.
This movie made me scattered due to between scene and scene there are lots of jump cuts, so I couldn’t get an connection thorough whole arc. (I am not sure there are arc).
This movie was a mosaic from a lots of separated stories, and there was Marcello coincidentally. 
Anyway I found two big theme on of it. One is a desire of ownership and another is a loneliness.
Paparazzi is a “PROP” of this film. They don’t care the right of privacy, but care speed of  getting a scoop. They follow a public figure and just take shutter for their desire; getting a scoop. 
There are lots of movie include Paparazzi, but not that much than La Dolce Vita. I guess a director, Federico Fellini used Paparazzi for his message and it would about a desire of human being. 
Now I look over Marcello. He is a Journalist and knows public figures. He lacks of love and he want to get it from several women. Unfortunately he doesn’t show an enthusiastic attitude for love. It’s clear he wants it but he doesn’t show us his action to get it strongly. 
I strongly felt about the character Marcello. Why Fellini put him in the story but doesn’t focus on him? I think a movie needs a main character, camera angle need to follow one or two specific cast than others. I think Fellini wanted to treat an human being itself  but don’t want to do documentary, so he set Fellini as an ostensible main character. Now Fellini shot human’s behavior on one’s desire, following Marcello. Marcello envies Mr. Steiner since Mr. Steiner seems to have get everything what Marcello really want; a love. But later Mr. Steiner killed his children, and killed himself. And then , Marcello start to get chaos. Marcello seems to lost a target to follow. He feel lonely among people. he doesn’t care about people around me, but cares himself, his desire. After he lost his hope he lost his mind, he feels an vacancy, an loneliness. 
The story about Madonna Fellini give me his point of human being clearly. Many people wait a little children who revealed they met an angel. Lots of people gathered to meet the kid to get grace of an Angel. Why? Human being want to get everything. To getting the grace, and then they will think their hope will come true. 

Now I want to talk about Loneliness. Characters Marcelo meets at the club and party, all of them looks unhappy to me. They hang out with companies at the same place, they may not want to be lonely, and they feel relieved when they see others who are same as themselves. Why Marcelo and actresses pursuit a love? It would be from loneliness. So they want to get a love and anything what they want. They would believe that the achieve their goal authorize them the reason of one’s existence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment